Quantcast

"Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

mihai
Hi!

I was wondering: would it be possible to turn off the lights right after hitting the keys (while the keys are still pressed)? Basically to behave the same as the "Waiting" mode on the Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard.

To clarify:
* The computer lights the keys that you have to press;
* The computer should turn off the lights *immediately after* you have pressed the corresponding keys.
This way you visually know you have pressed the right notes.

For this to work, I imagine the keyboard must be instructed not to turn on the lights when pressing the keys. Anyone has any insight on how to do this? Maybe some CC/SysEx to change the channel that the keyboard generates the notes on? So in effect, put the keyboard into a mode where only the computer can light the keys.

Thanks in advance,
-Mihai

PS: Are there any EZ-200 users in the house? :)

Re: "Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

robert1968
Hi

 unfortunately  I can answer only to ps: yes. :)

Re: "Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

mihai
Robert, good to know I'm not alone.

Re: "Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi Mihai,

This should not be too hard for me to implement, Robert do you see this problem on your setup?

The lights i believe are on channel one and turn on when you send a MIDI NOTE ON and turn off when you send a MDID NOTE OFF, so this should be just a case of sending a MIDI NOTE OFF early.

However re-reading your post, does it work correctly if you play just a single note or not? Because I think that for a chord you need to press both notes together before the lights should go out.

Are you using Linux or Windows? and can you compile form source? Are you in the UK by any chance.

Louis

Re: "Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

mihai
Hi Louis,

Thanks for jumping in!

The problem is really with the keyboard, because the keys stay lit until you release them, regardless of any NOTE OFF sent from the PC. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong...

Any ideas? I'm still digging through the Yamaha manuals for various keyboards, to see if there are MIDI commands to change the "MIDI output channel" (also called "MIDI Out Select", "Transmit Channel", "Keyboard Transmit Channel" etc.). Some keyboards have a menu option, abbreviated "TransmitCh", but not the EZ-200.

Otherwise, I'm using Windows. I haven't tried to compile it yet. I'm not from the UK, but I'm in a close TZ.

Thanks,
-Mihai

Re: "Smarter" Lights on Yamaha EZ-200

robert1968
Hi Louis.

> Robert do you see this problem on your setup?

Honor to have been asked! Thanks. :)
I don't see any harm to turn off lights immediately after right key pressed.

Midisheet music is great, getting love cose many of my favorites musics, are built in :)
Would be great to have this 2 programs together.

Regards,
Robert